News: This section can be used for brief news announcements
   Last Name:   First Name:
Log In
Advanced Search
What's New
Most Wanted
All Media
Dates and Anniversaries
Change Language
Contact Us
Register for a User Account


HomeHome    SearchSearch    PrintPrint    Login - User: anonymousLogin    Add BookmarkAdd Bookmark


Matches 1 to 50 of 1147

      1 2 3 4 5 ... 23» Next»

   Notes   Linked to 
13 Mar. 1729 Survey
Samuel SARRATT of Prince George's Co., MD. had a "Survey" done on 13 Mar. 1729, for some 90 acres of land in Charles Co., MD. However, when he received his "Bridgewater" Land Grant in Oct. of 1731, it was for only 70 acres. This 70 acres was entirely in Charles County, MD. and just below the Prince George's County line and adjacent to RICHARD BEANS'S "Thomas Inheritance", (which his brother, JOSEPH, 2 SARRATT, acquired some 22 years later in 1753) and adjoining John THOMAS'S "Bowling Green" tract.
(See Patent Book, #8, Pages 241 & 242, Hall of Records, Annapolis, MD...prs) 
Family: F760
Husband of Nancy (Moore) Reid ? married about 1790 in Tennesseemap
DESCENDANTS descendants
Father of Mary Reid, Jane M. Reid, James Reid, Anne Reid, Robert Reid, Samuel Moore Reid, Agnes W. Reid and Nancy W. Reid
Died about 1804 in Blount County, Tennesseemap
Profile manager: Margaret Summitt private message [send private message]
Profile last modified 9 Apr 2018 | Created 27 Jan 2018
This page has been accessed 21 times.
Samuel was born about 1770. He passed away about 1804.

Court Minutes Blount County Tennessee 1804-1807 262 page 111 Deed Book

On motion of Samuel Frashier (Frazier) and Martin Rorex are appointed Guardian of six orphan children of Samuel Reed ( Reid) deceased to wit as Mary, Jane, Anna, Robert, Agnes,Samuel, and entered into bonds in the penalty of as the law directs.

Large Court Book (Old) page 599 Robert and Samuel M Reid to choose James Reid their guardian and the court ordered that the said James Reid be appointed Guardian of Agnes W. Reid and that Samuel Frazier, Martin Rorez be released from their bonds here to fore entered into guardian if Reid Children and the said James Reid entered into bond with security according.

Samuel's brother , James the oldest, he also signed the estate from Pennsylvania

More About Samuel Reid: Fact 1: 1789, Landgrant

Fact 2: 1812, Land Grant

Fact 3: 1778, Land Grant signed by Sam Johnston-Green County.

More About Nancy Ann Moore: Fact 1: Dec 23, 1819, Will of Nancy Moore Reid More About Samuel Reid and Nancy Moore: Marriage: Abt. 1790, Tennessee

Family: F1338
John M. Blake

Mary Willingham

Marriage Date:


Marriages, Ninety-Six and Abbeville District
Family: F345

The Thorndale Thorn, Fri., Dec. 29, 1905 Milam County

Death - Mrs. William Chappell, more than 80 years old, a respected lady of Jones Prairie,
died at the home of Dr. Fontain yesterday and was buried at Little River Cemetery today.
Her husband came to this county many years ago from Washington county. The town of
Chappell Hill having been named for her husband. (Chappell Hill was named after the father of William Chappell. kp)
Family: F102
5 (The following material was copied from THE BUMPASS FAMILY FROM PERSON COUNTY, NORTH CAROLINA. Compiled by Anne Shirley Bumpus and James Richard Townsend.)


"The following data taken from Mrs. Cherry?s Book was contributed by Mrs. Anna Chappell Heal Tucker, Beaumont, Texas. THE STORY OF THE BUMPAS FAMILY, pages 73 - 78."

"Many Texans are proud of their male ancestors who fought in the Revolutionary War and later found their way into new land and stood beside their grandsons and helped them, By their wise council build this grand New State of Texas our TEXAS."

"We can't claim this much for Sarah Franks, for she was born in South Carolina, on May 8, 1776, the daughter of Nehemiah and Mary Peake Franks one of 12 children. This birth took place as you see a couple of months only before the famous Declaration of Independence was signed, and in a colony whose people were noted for their bravery, their daring, a colony sometimes called a hot bed of rebellion."

"Her home was doubtless one of ease and plenty, for her father was rewarded as a man of wealth. Too old to be enlisted in that fight against the British, for active service, he was most heartily in sympathy with the colonists, helped them dream of the great nation they hoped to be and dipped without reserve into his private coffers in order that the war might be carried on."

"At some time during that struggle, the Tories, knowing that most of the men were a sent in the army, swept down upon Lawrence District destroying property, taking lives, heedless of any suffering of any form. Nehemlah Franks and his wife Mary, looked about their colonial home, gathered together the 12 children, placed them on horseback, two to a horse, sometimes, loaded behind each child a bag containing spoons, and knives and forks of silver, clothing and the more precious food stuffs, and put out across country, the Tory bullets already whizzing by them. A mile or so on the way, they met a group of Indians--they too alarmed over the whizzing bullets--hoping, perhaps, in their dumb way, that this white man, himself, boasted the protective gunpowder."

"With the flight at its height, Mary Franks discovered that her baby, even our Sarah, sound asleep at the time, had been left behind."

"She called out her dismay, appealed in her woman?s way with one mute glance at her husband, then sank against the pommel of her saddle, awoman indeed bowed down."

"One certain Indian, catching the play of grief across her white face, realizing from her one heartbroken scream just what had happened, primed his bow and arrow, put spurs to his own particular pony, dodged s whizzing bullet, took a lower bridle path through the woods, on and on, faster and yet faster; he reached the house, gathered the still sleeping child and started back a little more slowly to the distracted mother. The Tories paid him little heed, seeing he was only an Indian with a bundle in front of him, but we know he made the trip back in safety. For a long time afterwards, our Sarah was regarded as the passive heroine of that great event. We hazard a guess that when Sarah was restored to her mother's arms, she evinced no sign of pride in her heroic escape. We are sure, very sure that she raised her plaintive young voice and demanded food."

"When Sarah reached sweet sixteen, the girl who busied herself about her father's house in the care of things left undone by sisters older and busier, this same bright girl fell under the notice of a certain young man, Dr. James Bumpas. James claimed, of course, that love was the primary force that drew him so closely, so tenderly to Sarah, but subsequent events have a way of suggesting that this physician recognized in Sarah a possibility of great help. No matter the man's ability in the matter of character study, no matter his impulses, love or otherwise, it is a matter of history that Sarah was her husband's first aid. Over rough roads and smooth, she went with him many times when he knew an obstinate case awaited him. Her arms many times proved the first refuge for the newly born child. Many times she waited, detained there by needs of her own growing family, yet found time for the preparation of herbs, the combination of drugs her husband found so necessary in his practice. And can't you just see her standing with the large tablespoon of castor oil and the peach preserve or the quinine on the end of a spoon?straight, no sugar coating in those days. A small woman, inclined to be plump with jet-black hair and sparkling black eyes was Sarah."

"When it began to seem best to James Bumpas and several of his friends that they must desert this South Carolina home for the newer, richer country of Tennessee, Sarah knew that she must agree. She regretted the loss of her home, of her South Carolina friends, but she comforted herself with the idea that her doctor was sure to find work for them in Tennessee and that this work was the chief thing in his life. So they joined the group of pioneers bound for Tennessee in 1809."

"Tennessee and that this work was the chief thing in his life. So they joined the group of pioneers bound for Tennessee in 1809."

"For months and months they journeyed and worked, over mountains and by rushing streams until they reached a place which they called Crosswaters and there they made a settlement. A few years later they moved to Lawrenceburg and here they raised their family. In a log house at first to be sure, Sarah no doubt cooked upon an open fireplace but in that Tennessee home as the years came and went Sarah gave birth to 10 healthy, normal children and she lived to see them all grown."

"Had the people in that day and time dared, they surely would have addressed Sarah as "Doctor Bumpas" for the folks came to consult her as frequently and with as much confidence as they did her husband. But Sarah, in that day and particularly in that part of the world, had never disgraced her proud estate as wife and mother by allowing anybody to suggest for her the mannish title of doctor."

"In due course of time marriage descended on her big family. Three of her daughters married and moved to Texas. Emily married Douglas Hayden Stockton. Sallie married Hugh Mcintyre, a man who became quite prominent in Brenham, Texas, and who was the proprietor of The Mcintyre House, one of the first hotels in Texas. Her youngest daughter married James Mcintyre, a younger brother of Hugh's. Sarah would have been disappointed had her daughters remained old maids, but she did grieve that they all left the Tennessee home soon after marriage and settled in Texas. Letters, two months or more on the way reached her from these daughters. Harriet lost her husband and afterwards married William CHAPPELL, a son of the man for whom Chappell Hill was named. Her oldest son, Hartwell Jones Bumpas, joined Andrew Jackson and was with him a the Battle of New Orleans. In 1836 James Bumpas, her companion in work and its joy, died. For several years she carried on alone and finally she too decided to move to Texas."

"She found her children settled in that part of Texas now known as Washington County. She moved into the house of her youngest daughter and even her son-in-law WILLIAM CHAPPELL openly blessed the day of her coming. William Chappell's wife was a delicate woman, a "clinging vine" Sarah liked to call her in her talks with "CHAPPELL" as she dubbed her son-in-law."

"From this time on, Sarah rejoiced in the title of "Mother Bumpas". Many men, in the neighborhood, took on the use of the title with her son-in-law. She managed Chappell's home for him. She carried dangling on her belt the keys of closet and smokehouse and many times a switch was to be seen in her hands. The legs of her grandchildren and of the pickerninnies often felt the sting of that switch. Every Sunday morning she lined up all the children on the plantation, white and black and taught them a Golden Text."

"One of the most important phases of Sarah?s life in Texas was her attitude toward religion. Back in her South Carolina home she had been baptized into the Methodist Church by one of the first Methodist preachers in America. We think it was Bishop Asbury. We know that he was a close friend of her father and that he performed the burial rites for her father on November 7,1799."

"in her Texas home, her children settled about her, Sarah, called "Mother Bumpas by most of Texas Methodism, established a home that was always open to preachers. In 1847 the State Conference was held in Chappell Hill and nine preachers were entertained in her home."

"The circuit rider, burning with a desire to help the men and women in the new country made it a point to reach Sarah?s house whenever it was possible. He knew he would find comfort there. Good beds, plenty to eat for man and horse, and Sarah?s smile of welcome and cheery words always drove away every discouraged impulse. Littleton Fowler, Robert Alexander, H.S. Thrall."

"John Haynie and H.N. Kavanaugh were glad to be known as her friends."
"The Son of Tennessee, now the General Sam Houston of Texas was a neighbor end friend of the household. He lived only twenty miles away but what was twenty miles when one needs council and advice."

"It is now 1861 and turbulent times in Texas prevail. Civil War... must Texas secede? Many nights were spent in this house by SAM HOUSTON talking to WILLIAM CHAPELL and Mother Bumpas.

"An Indian of the tribe of Wacos heard of Sarah?s knowledge of medicine. He appeared before her one day with his squaw and a very sick child. Sarah understood at a glance. With her woman?s heart and skill she saw after several hours that the child was out of danger; she saw too the look of confidence come into the mother?s eyes. Today, in this year of 1937 in the home of Mrs. N.C. Erskine, in Temple, Texas, a great-granddaughter of Sarah's, is to be seen a beautiful pair of Indian moccasins. This great-granddaughter will point proudly to these moccasins and tell you the story in her own way, for she too, is proud that Mother Bumpas is included in her Texas Ancestors."

"Sarah Bumpas believed firmly in education, too. She was untiring in her efforts to have Chappell Mill Female College established. She was interested as well in the organization of Soule University."

"She died in 1865 and is buried in Chappell Hill."

Family: F102
6 ---------------------------------------------------------
To all whom it may concern.
The undersigned have executed a title bond to one John C. Jones, on or about the 18th of February last, for nine hundred acres of land, lying on the Navidad River, and known as a part of the headright of Eli Mercer.
This is therefore to give notice, that the consideration for which the said bond was given having failed, I am determined not to make a title to said land, unless compelled by law. Egypt 25th, June, 1842 ELIJAH G. MURCER 
Family: F41
7 1820 in Gwinnett County, GA
1830 Carroll County, GA
1840 Carroll County, GA
1850 Carroll County, GA
Family: F319
8 1836-1909 Washington County Texas Marriages

Kusix, Robt. Box, Elizabeth E.
Box 1 Page 22 Aug/30/1853  
Family: F12
9 1900 Lavaca County Census
Robert Burke W/M/Age 31/M/6 years/2 children/Ky/Ky/Ky
Bertha/wife/W/F/Age25/M/6 years/2 children/Tx/TN/TX
Glayds/Dau/W/F/Age 5
William/Son W/M/Age 3
Orville Burke/Brother/W/M/age 20/Single/TX/KY/TX

1930 Comal County, New Braunfels, Texas Census
Robert s. Burke/M/W/Age 62
Bertha/Wife/age 55
Gladys Hopson/daughter/age 35/divorced
Mary L. Hopson/grandaughter/age 6
Family: F70
10 1930 Bexar County San Antonio Texas Census
G. F. Fulcher Head/M/M/Age 45/TX/TX/TX
Ella/Wife/F/M/Age 45/TX/TX/TX
Ira/Son/M/S.Age 21/TX/TX/TX
Jenks/Son/M/S/Age 18/TX/TX/TX
Leora/daughter/F/S/Age 11/TX/TX/TX

Gip was the brother of Luella Fulcher Scott who was the mother of Irena Scott married to Frank Keesee.

Ruby Belle Fulcher married Clarence Tate. He died on 8 Nov 1871
James Ira Fulcher married Estelle Marie Jackson
Jenks married Thelma Rose Sievers
Family: F28
11 ABNUS B. KERR. A noted writer has said: "The present is the child of all the past, the mother of all the future." If this be true, where will the generations of the future find a more impressive lesson or faithful guide than in the study of the lives of those men who have achieved a successful prominence in the busy walks of life? There is in the intensified energy of the business man, fighting the everyday battle of life, but little to attract the attention of the idle observer: but to the mind fully awake to the stern realities of life there are noble and immortal lessons in the life of the man who, without other aid than a clear head, a strong arm and a true heart, conquers adversity and wins for himself honors and distinction among his, fellow men. Among such men we may mention Abnus B. Kerr, who is one of the leading business men of the county. He was born March 4, 1832, in Augusta County, Va., of which state his parents, Robert G. and Cassandra C. (McCutchen) Kerr were also natives. Robert G. Kerr was born in 1803 and died in Fayette County in 1893, at the ripe old age of ninety years. His father, William Kerr, was one of the first settlers of Virginia, and was in the war for independence. He came from either Scotland or Ireland, and his wife was a native of Holland. William Kerr and wife reared a family of eight children: David Samuel X., William, Jr., Robert 0., Betsie, wife of John Wallace; Sallie, married Peter C. Hogue, an eminent Baptist minister; Peggie, married Elijah Hogshead of Virginia, and Jane, who married Dr. William T. Anderson, a prominent surgeon of White Sulphur Springs for many years, is still living. Our subject's maternal grandparents, Downey McCutchen, commonly known as Captain McCutchen, was also in the Revolutionary War and held the rank of captain in the Army of Patriots of Virginia. Both the Kerrs and McCutchens were large property owners and very influential families. Mr. McCutchen reared a family of seven children: Robert, Chapman, Cyrus, a physician; Amanda, married Colonel Emonson of Lexington, Va., and became the mother of three daughters: Cassandra C., Rebecca and Temperance, who married William Suddeth and became the mother of one son, James, who is now an eminent physician of Washington, D. C. Robert G. Kerr, a farmer and planter, was the son of wealthy parents, and remained in Virginia until 1874. He met with many reverses on account of security debts, and our subject cared for him amid the remainder of the family until the death of both parents, the mother dying in 1880, when, seventy-five years of age. This worthy couple reared four children: A. B., Mary C. A., Jerusha E., wife of J. E. Gillespie, and Robert 0. of Bell County. Abnus B. Kerr, the oldest of the above mentioned children, secured a fair education in the common schools of Augusta County, Va., and in 1852, when twenty years of age, he started out to fight the battle of life for himself. He went to Charleston, V. Va., and from there down the Ohio and Mississippi rivers to New Orleans. Many were taken sick with cholera on the boat, and died at the rate of five a day, and of the eighteen who started with our subject, two died of that dread disease. Boats were not allowed to stop in the towns, but would land at wood yards, and other places, and dig pits in the sand for the corpses of their unfortunate comrades. About fifty persons were thus buried. On this boat was a lady who was going South with her little child to join her husband, who was a merchant in Louisiana. The lady promenaded the deck with Mr. Kerr, seemingly in the best of health, but before morning she was a corpse. Her body was placed in a casket and conveyed to New Orleans. The child clung to Mr. Kerr, and would not go with any of the ladies, and he took charge of the forlorn little creature until it reached its father in New Orleans. From New Orleans Mr. Kerr went to Indianola, and thence made his way to Gonzales by ox team, landing in that town with little money November 1, 1852. He at once succeeded in getting work, and was bookkeeper for a Mr. Gishard, a Frenchman, with a salary of $5l per month. He remained with that gentleman but one month, for he had to keep the books and clerk as well. As he could not do both at once, he was obliged to take care of the books at night, In a little house open to the weather. There Mr. Kerr contracted pleurisy, cattle very near dying and when he recovered paid all his money to the doctor. He was without money, out of a position, had no friends, and was too proud to write home for money. As he could not get work at his business?bookkeeping?he decided to turn his hand at anything; and as the first brick house of Gonzales was under construction at that time, he accepted a position as hod-carrier for the masons, at. seventy cents a day and board himself, paying forty cents per day for board. This building was known as the Kiser Hotel, and on it our subject worked as hod-carrier until March, 1853. At that time Major Neighbors was raising a company of rangers to guard the surveyors going north to survey land in Peters Colony. This land was to be surveyed from where Dallas now stands, north. Mr. Kerr wished very much to go, but had no horse or outfit, which all rangers were required to furnish. He had shown such spirit and grit after his sickness, in taking up the hod, that he won the respect and esteem of all, and one citizen, a Mr. H. Saddler, said he would furnish the saddle, a countryman furnished the horse, another a gun and thus Mr. Kerr was equipped, with the understanding that he was to pay for the outfit should he ever get able. The company was organized at Austin and started in March, with a company of surveyors, under Colonel Hitchcock. This land was to be surveyed for the Texas Emigration and Land Company of Peters Colony. Seventeen hundred square miles were surveyed in nine months, and many very interesting experiences had our subject during that time. At one time a chief of the Wichita tribe had stolen a number of Government horses from Fort Crogan, or near Burnett, and Major Sibley, who was in command, followed with horses and men, and overtook him and wife and followers near the Indian agency, on the Clear Fork of the Brazos, where the company of rangers were camped. The latter assisted in capturing the chief and his wife, and he was kept closely confined in a tent. While there he stabbed his wife and started for Major Sibley's tent to assassinate him, but was stopped by a guard, whom he shot. Other guards came up and the chief was shot through the breast. Finding the wound mortal, the latter plunged the knife in his own breast. On the 2d of July, 1853, Mr. Kerr and a friend, Mr. Gibbons of Arkansas, decided to go to Fort Belknap, a distance of twenty-five miles from the camp of the rangers, to get their guns repaired. While hunting a suitable place to cross the Brazos River, they came suddenly on a camp of 150 Indians on the warpath. Mr. Kerr and his friend lost no time In getting away from there, but were pursued by Indians on foot and on horseback. The friend was on a fine mare, and this left our subjects little pony in the rear. Mr. Kerr called to his companion to wait, but the latter seemed to be deaf. The race continued until within sight of Fort Belknap, and the horses of the boys were almost exhausted. They reached that place in safety, and a party of soldiers started back after the Indians, but did not succeed in capturing any. After remaining a week at the fort the boys returned by a different route, and with an escort of dragoons. On the 31st of November Mr. Kerr was transferred from the ranger service to the surveying corps, where he received $60 per month, $30 more than he had received previously. Still later he was transferred to the transcribing department, where he received $75.50 per month. In that capacity he served until he reached Austin, November 1, 1853. He then clerked for some time, and was offered a salary of $75 per month to work in the land office. About this time Mr. Kerr and his companions were paid off for their trip with the surveyors, and Mr. Kerr received $140. Returning to Gonzales, he paid off his debts, spent a short time with his friends, and on the last of January, 1854, he went to Cibolo, near SeIma, Bexar County, and purchased a small herd of cattle, a tract of land from J. M. Hill. He made considerable money out of this. During the fall of 1854 he met his first wife, Miss May Murcer [Mercer], and while she was attending school, they were married August 2, 1855. Mrs. Kerr was the daughter of Levi and Sarah (Munifee) [Menefee] Murcer, the father, a large sugar merchant and a wealthy and influential citizen at Egypt. During the fall of 1855 Mr. and Mrs. Kerr loaded their household goods in an ox wagon and moved to Fayette County, on a tract of 200 acres of land that her grandfather, Judge Munifee, had given her. This land was unimproved, and Mr. Kerr built his own house with lumber brought from Higgins' mill at Bastrop. He also fenced in some land and engaged in farming and improving his place up to the outbreak of war. During that eventful period he took charge of his father-in-law's stock, and, together with his own, moved them to Colorado County, where he remained for two years. Returning to Fayette County in 1866, he began surveying, and soon became familiar with the land of the county. He engaged largely in land speculations, buying and selling large tracts of land, and accumulated considerable property. Since then he has been engaged for the most part in farming, stock-raising and merchandising. By his first union Mr. Kerr became the father of four children, as follows: Thomas 0., a merchant of Muldoon, James L, manager of a rock quarry: William B. of San Antonio, manager of the coal and wood business at that place; and R. L. Kerr (deceased). Mrs. Kerr, who was a most estimable lady, and an earnest member of the Baptist church, died in 1868. In 1870 Mr. Kerr married Miss Bettie Ragsdale, a native of Texas, and daughter of Charles C. and Sarah (Scallorn) Ragsdale, early settlers of Texas. Four children were born to his second union; John A., a graduate of the Law School of Texas, at Austin, prior to his twenty-first year (something that had never happened in Texas before), Is now practicing his profession in Fayette; Mary, died in 1882; Charles 0., a student, and Alice L. Mr. Kerr and sons own a large business in Muldoon, this county, and a large stone quarry at that place, the finest in the state. He has a $300,000 contract with the city of Galveston to furnish rock for the city, and sends out from thirty-five to forty car loads per day. Mr. Kerr also owns one-half interest in coal mines at Rockdale, Milam County, shipping twelve car loads per day. The company has leased this mine to the Brickett & Egget Plant Co., and on this they get a royalty of thirty cents per ton. The company with which Mr. Kerr is connected have other mines they will open soon, and sell in the crude state as now. The mercantile business is in charge of one of his sons, and is the most successful enterprise of the kind In the county. Mr. Kerr owns in Texas 50,000 acres of land, and has under cultivation about 4,000 acres, which makes about seventy-five farms, occupied by about seventy-five renters. Mr. Kerr also owns 50,000 acres of land in Mexico, on which there is quite a village. This ranch is worth at least $300,000. The Southern Pacific is planning a road through it, and Mr. Kerr has given the right-of-way. Our subject has taken little interest In political matters for a number of years, but during middle life he served fourteen years as justice of the peace, tax collector, school director, notary public and county commissioner. Finding nothing in politics, he quit. He was sent by, the county to Denver, Col., to devise a means of getting deep water at Galveston. This was the convention that gave that enterprise a start. He is a strong advocate for deep water on the Texas Coast. Socially he is a member of the A. F. and A. M., a Royal Arch and demitted member. Few men in the state are at the head of as many enterprises as Mr. Kerr. Charitable and generous, he gives freely to all worthy enterprises, and takes the lead in all good work. From the year 1870 to 1880 Mr. Kerr was prominently identified with the organization of the Texas State Grange, and for eight years was a member of the first executive committee He undoubtedly possesses a mind the equal of which few men can boast. He controls to-day more different financial enterprises than any other man in the state, and is known and recognized far and near as the "Millionaire Rock King of Texas."?pp. 449-454. Family: F140
12 About 1783 Anthony Seale and with Anne Jarvis Seale joined his sister Dorothy Seale Stribling in Wilkes County, GA. Family: F432
13 Abraham Marshall Bartee moved to Tallapoosa County, Alabama in the 1830's.

Family: F621
14 After arriving in Jones County, around 1919, they lived on the King Ranch about 5 miles south of Lueders (Chimney Rock area). Later they lived at Ft. Phantom Hill on Elm Creek, where McGregor died and also Lydia Caroline Reich Willingham Scott. It was a rented farm, and the house was a large two story. Minnie moved to the west side of the Clear Fork River about a mile from the "Meadows Place" where Dolly, George and family lived.
Newel, Jewel and Miriam still lived with Minnie (their mother) but all three soon married. Then Minnie married Mr. Roberts (we called him Pa) and they moved to his farm east of Hamby.
The family (Willingham's) were living at Ft. Phantom when George and Dolly met. 
Family: F160
15 After their marriage she sold, 27 May, 1796, the land she inherited from her father, Capt. William Middleton d. 1790/91. (Westmoreland Co., Deed & Wills 19, pp. 203-05) Family: F96
16 All children are listed under John and his first wife, Hannah Middleton Dollins Wroe, but I feel more than likely the only daughter they had together was Hannah and that after the death of his wife he remarried 2) Betty Lamkin, prior to 1867 and the other children probably belongs to this marriage. The eldest son is listed as being Peter and Betty's father's name was Peter.  Family: F300
17 Allen and Elinor Harvey of SSP gave a tract of land in NFP, Richmond County, VA to Jeremiah Middleton, the son of Elinor Harvey on 3 Sep 1729. Jeremiah was the son of Elinor and John Middleton decd. 1726. Family: F95
18 Arabella Gray Dever Harrington, grandmother of Nancy Dever Keesee.

Arabella Gray

by Dixie Ann Foster

DRT #19911S

Arabella Gray Dever Harrington was the daughter of and the wife of Revolutionary soldiers. She was a well educated, accomplished young woman. Her mother had experienced a nervous breakdown when her husband was killed at King?s Mountain. The children had been farmed out until her recovery at which time she reunited her family. Arabella in her marriage to Nathaniel Dever, began a progressive move west. First to western North Carolina and later, to the Illinois Territory. The men drove the cattle overland while Arabella followed by flatboat with the furnishings and the children Margaret, Frances, Elijah and William watched with their parents as the Captain fled with all their possessions. Nathan Dever, a linguist, was to work with the Indians to prevent their siding with the English who hoped to regain the Illinois Territory.

In 1810, Nathan died of the "fever" alongside Auger Creek. In December of 1810, baby Mary Mariah was born to her grieving mother (outrageous Arabella having probated the will moved her family into Missouri in time for the 1811 Earthquake. Nathan?s brother, William, came for the girls on horseback thinking they would be better off in North Carolina. Arabella planned to follow. She may have progressed as far as Kentucky, when John William Harrington, debonair Irishman, swept her off her feet. This marriage began a new family. Harrington'? sternness and absence of working skill caused 15 year old William Harvey Dever to head for Texas. Though he had bet the Austin?s, he decided not to wait for the Austin Colony. Once settled and maturing and knowing his mother needed to own land for security, William urged his mother to bring her new family to Texas. Pausing to work in Arkansas, not only J. W. Harrington lost his life, but also young Elijah Dever was killed in a sawmill accident. Undaunted, Arabella proceeded by horseback with 2 year old John Walton clinging to her neck. The girls, Lydia and Mahala rode in the wagon with the household goods. They stayed with William Devers, while their two-room cabin was built on Arabella?s land grant that was to become the city of Brenham. Arabella planned one room for the horse and cow and one for the family. Arabella fed travelers and served as a mid-wife. One day Arabella was called away to deliver a baby. She left Lydia in charge of young John Walton Harrington. As she was feeding him pinion nuts, Indians invaded the cabin and began roasting the potato supply in the fireplace. Suddenly one of them decided to scalp young John.. (to be continued)
Family: F3
19 b. 29 Jan 1788; Geo Middleton (sec); bride was a dau of Jn Wroe (d. RC 1794); by 13 Nov 1800, Jn. and Hanah (Wroe) Middleton were res. of NoCar: (RC DB 17:439; WB 9:5; MLB WC; MLB WC2; JFL annotations to MLB WC; MLB WC3) (Married Well and Often) Family: F21
20 Bestman was Benjamin Whicker Jr. Family: F259
21 Betty Wroe married John Beacham bef. 23, April 1795; Roger Dameron (sec.), Thomas Dugliss (witness), bride was daughter of Jn. Wroe (d. NC 1794). Their daughter was Jane M. Beacham. Family: F292
22 Birth: Feb. 17, 1846
Forsyth County
Georgia, USA
Death: Oct. 18, 1932

Daughter of James and Jane Caruthers Finley Mashburn, Hazel Addline married William Elias Willingham on 27 Dec 1863 in Georgia. Together, they were parents of four children:

* Joseph Franklin (Frank) Willingham
* Georgia Isabelle Willingham Johnson
* Azalea Lenorah Willingham Campbell
* William Oliver Willingham

Family links:
James Ervin Mashburn (1807 - 1891)
Jane Caruthers Finley Mashburn (1811 - 1886)

William Elias Willingham (1842 - 1917)

Joseph Franklin Willingham (1870 - 1951)*

Charles Wesley Mashburn (1829 - 1893)*
John Harvey Mashburn (1833 - 1927)*
Mary Jane Mashburn Johnston (1836 - 1928)*
Joseph F. Mashburn (1838 - 1925)*
Martha Shadburn (1845 - 1929)*
Hazel Addline Mashburn Willingham (1846 - 1932)
Eliza Rebecca Mashburn Douglass (1848 - 1926)*
Matilda Caroline Mashburn Johnston (1850 - 1910)*

*Calculated relationship

Evergreen Cemetery
Martin County
Texas, USA
Family: F457
23 bride was the daughter of of Fleet Cox (d. WC 1791) and grandaughter of Presley Cox (d. WC 1766); she mar. (2) Thos. Plummer; (WC DW 18:191; DW 19:203, NNHM 16:1481) Married Well and Often Family: F30
24 Buried in the Masonic Cemetery in Chappell Hill, Texas on a large flat stone covering the entire grave.
Sacred to the Memory of William D. Hargrove on the 21st September 1850 in the 53rd year of his age. He was a native of Georgia. For many years a citizen of Alabama. Immigrated to Texas in 1841 where he resided until the time of his decease. As a husband he was fond and devoted. As a parent kind and indulgent. As a neighbor and friend free and generous. He died in the triumphs of a happy immortality singing praises to him around whose blissful throne, no sorrow is known. Leaving a kind wife and children and friends to mourn his loss. Farewell husband, parent and friend. May we all meet with the same happy end.
His wife Charlotte Chappell born November 8, 1804, died March 12, 1879 (Charlotte was the sister of Mary Chappell Keesee, wife of William Keesee Sr.)
This slab is about four feet by six feet long. Apparently both are buried close enough together for the stone to be for both of them. It is beautifully printed in the stone. 
Family: F11
25 Charles Haynie and Elizabeth Middleton (wid), 1 May 1777, bride was a dau of James Straughan and wid of 1) Rodham K Cralle, 2) George Harvey 3) Jeremiah Middleton; (NC RD 11:301; MLR NC; BNCHS 19:57-58 Family: F82
26 Copied from records in the Owen County, Indiana, courthouse in Spencer, Indiana, during the summer of 1981, by Caryl and Connie Middleton. Photostat of document exists. It is significant that the husbands of the Middleton sisters signed in their behalf. It is significant also that the name of their mother, Anna, appears nowhere in the document. There is evidence, however, that would indicate that Anna made her home with John J. Middleton after Robert's death. Charles had died already before the father's death; hence Tyra's acting in behalf of Charles and his heirs, if he indeed had any. It would be interesting to have an itemized list of the items sold on the day of the sale and the amounts bid on each item. (CAM 1984)

Tyra M. Middleton et al. Agreement. Recd. for Record, May 14th, 1852 - 6 p.m.

Article of agreement made and entered into this twenty-third day of April in the year of our Lord one thousand eight hundred and fifty two by and between Tyra M. Middleton for himself and Tyra M. Middleton administrator for Charles Middleton deceased, Albert W. Middleton, John Jackson Middleton, and William Winters who intermarried with Elizabeth Middleton, Oliver Hubbell who intermarried with Delila Middleton, John Hauser who intermarried with Elicia Middleton, being a law of Robert Middleton, late of Owen County, State of Indiana, deceased, Witnesseth: that the said being of Robert Middleton deceased do hereby covenant and agree each to the other to settle up the estate of the said Robert Middleton, without taking out letters of administration, personal property of said estate appraised by two disinterested householders to be chosen and agreed upon by said being, who shall proceed to make out an inventory and appraisement of said property after being duly chosen which public notices has been put up, put up at some of the most public places in said Township in Owen County, some days before the day of sale, and the said parties agree that all the outstanding debts of said estate duly authenticated shall be first settled, including, twenty five dollars which said estate owed Delila Hubbell, and twenty five dollars which said estate owes to Elicia Hauser, who are being of Robert Middleton deceased and the balance of the proceeds of said personal property shall be divided equally between all said being, it is further agreed by said being that we appoint John Hauser to settle up all the estate, and pay all debts as fast as the same may be collected, and collected, and collect all debts. In Witness whereof, the said parties have hereunto set their hands and seals this twenty third day of April 1852.

In presence of Tyra M. Middleton (seal)

John H. Hauser (seal)
(S) S. Moses Albert M. Middleton (seal)

Oliver Hubbell (seal)

John Jackson Middleton (seal)

Wm. Winters (seal) 
Family: F154
27 Delilah was the daughter of William Berry Jr. and Sara. Family: F440
28 Democratic Telegraph & Texas Register, Oct. 14, 1847: We are requested to announce John A. Haynie, Esq., of Washington County as a candidate for Lieut. Governor. Family: F105
29 Edward C. Tarrant, Prominent among the men of San Antonio who have worked their own way to prominence and position in the world of business is Edward C. Tarrant, a memeber of the leading mortgage brokerage firm of E. C. Chandler and Company. Mr Tarrant comes from a line of noted educators and was given a good educational training in his youth, but at the age of eighteen decided upon a business career, and prior to entering his present line was associated with railroad work. He has become widely known in his present field of activity and as a citizen of real worth and progressive spirit.
Mr Tarrant was born at Scooba, Kemper County, Mississippi July 2, 1872, and is a son of Edward W. and Annie (Spencer) Tarrant, native of Tuscaloosa, Alabama and a grandson of Capt. Edward and Parmelia (VanZandt) Tarrant. The Tarrants came originally from England to Virginia prior to the war of the Revolution and subsequently was to the Carolinas and finally to Alabama. Captain Tarrant, the grandfather was an early educatior of Alabama and conducted a private school near Tuscaloosa until the outbreak of the war between the states at which time he organized three companies and led the third, known as Tarrant's Battery, in Lumsden's Brigade of the Confederate army. His son, Edward W. was at that time a student at the University of Alabama, but gave up his studies to enlist in his father's company in which he received the rank of lieutenant. He was the first Alabama soldier to be shot in the war, receiving his wound during a skirmish. Late in the war both he and his father were captured by the enemy and incarcerated at Fire Island Prison. At the close of the great struggle Capt. Edward Tarrant resumed his educational work and his son went back to college. After living for several years Captain Tarrant passed away, his death in all probability having been hastened by his military hardships and imprisonment. He was one of the well known and highly estemmed educators of his day, and his institution was known, as an excellent preparatory school.
Edward W. Tarrant was born September 14, 1842, and was graduated from the University of Alabama with the degree of Master of Arts about 1867. following his father's footsteps, he chose educational labors as his life work and for many years was a widely known and popular teacher. When he left his native State of Alabama he went to Black Hawk, Mississippi, where he was principal of the Methodist High School, subsequenty becoming superintendent of public instruction of Carroll County, Mississippi. In 1883 Mr. Tarrant came to Texas and settled at Chappell Hill, where he became president of the Chappel Hill Female College, a position which he held for ten years. About 1893 he went to Brenham where during the next seventeen years he was superintendent of public schools, and about 1910 removed to Corsicana, where he took up the durties of superintendent of the State Orphan's Home. After four years in that capacity he retired from active labors and lived quietly until his death, November 19, 1921 at Bryan, this state. Converted at the age of thirteen years, Mr. Tarrant was always very active in the work of the Methodist Church, and was a member of the Methodist Conference of his district. He was a past division commander of the Texas Department, United Confederate Veterans, and was a past muster of the Blue Lodge of Masonry and a meber of the Chapter, Commandary and Mystic Shrine.
Edward C. Tarrant attended the public schools of the various communiteis in which the family resided during his boyhood and youth, and then spent several years at Soule College, Chappell Hill, Texas, and one year at Southern University in Alabama. He next secured a position in the supply department of the San Antonio and Aransas Pass Railroad at Yoakum, Texas, in 1891, and two years later was made general storekeeper. In 1900 he took up his residence at San Antonio as paymaster for the road, of which he was made treasurer in 1902, and remained in the latter capacity until 1912, when he entered the finance house of E. B. Chandler. The firm became a partnership in 1921 and Mr. Chandlers death in 1923, Mr. Tarrant, Gus J. Groos, Guy S. McFarland and S. L. Stumberg served as executors of Mr. Chandler's estate and succeeded to the business. The four partners, who maintain offices in the Chandler Building, are trustees of the Chandler Memorial Home, a home for gentlewomen. Mr Tarrant is know as a capable and energetic business man of the highest integrity, and has the full confidence and respect of his associates. He is a member of Alamo Lodge, A. F. and A. M. of San Antonio and was one of the organizers of the San Antonio Country Club, of which he was a member of the Board of Governors and for seventeen years was secretary and treasurer. He is a member of the San Antonio Casino Club, and the Rotary Club, of which he was formerly a member of the directorate and finds his chief recreation in golf and hunting.
On November 21, 1895, Mr. Tarrant was united in marriage with MISS MAUDE KEESEE, A DAUGHTER OF WALTER (WALSTEIN) AND MILDRED (WOODLEY) KEESEE of Old Moulton, Lavaca County, Texas. To this union there was born three sons and one daughter, Edward W., Fred J., Jack W., and Mildred. 
Family: F78
30 Elizbeth Demourville was the widow of William Harrison. They were married before 23 July 1723 since mentioned as Elizabeth Harrison in the will of her father, Samuel Demourville. Elizabeth was mentioned as Elizabeth Middleton in the will of her mother, Hannah (Cox) Demourville dated 8 Sept. 1744. Family: F17
31 Family information off of Find a Grave

John H lived in
1850 Choctaw Mississippi
1860 Oktibbeha, Mississippi
1877 died in Henryville, Clay County Mississippi
Family: F279
32 Family information taken from Rootsweb Ginger's tree) Family: F153
33 Family Search North Carolina Marriages 1759-1979
Source Film Number 502336 
Family: F269
34 Family search North Carolina Marriages, 1759-1979
Source Film Number 502336 
Family: F258
35 Family Search Virginia Marriages, 1785-1940 Family: F266
36 First child born in 1806 and think children were born in Guilford County, North Carolina Family: F265
37 Goerge Vanlandingham probably married Nancy Cauthen and died after the birth of their daughter Winney. Nancy then married Peter Riggin, Nov. 19, 1800 in Warren County, North Carolina LDS Library Family: F330
38 Hannah Elizabeth was his second wife. They are in the 1880 Scott Co., AR census. Family: F354
39 He married Nancy Williamson abt 1776, married 2nd Sarah Sally Wagnon Aug 20 1803 in Greene County, GA. She was the daughter of John Michael Waggonnan. Family: F720
40 Henry and Betty had five sons and six (possibly seven) daughters. From family history, proven by census records, one son was Dawson, born in 1797, and another son, Henry, was born in 1800. No family history has been found for Samuel, Thomas or John. Henry's census records indicate his two oldest sons were born 1890-1894, and his last son was born 1806 to 1809. We have searched for Samuel, Thomas and John in census records in the southern states and found some who were born in South Carolina with dates of birth indicating they could have been sons of Henry.

From the Book, Vanlandingham Family at the LDS Library 
Family: F329
41 Hi Wyly/Cleveland Families- I am the great4grandson ofJames Rutherford
Wyly, Sr.(1782) of Habersham County, Ga.His son #1 William Clark Wyly (1804)
married Amelia Caroline Starr(1807).They were married in Habersham County,
Ga. (1826) and would move to Smith County, Tx. (Circa 1860). Their son
Robert Fletcher Wyly, Sr. would later marry(1858) Cherokee Indian Princess, Mary Jane Buffington,and they would start the Oklahoma Wyly group ofTahlequah, Okla.I have Many Cherokee Relatives!Please advise. Thank you!Jim Wyly 
Family: F755

COLONEL JOHN CRUMP was born in Virginia about the year 1682.
His father was William Crump who was born in Virginia between
1652 and 1654.

He married Hannah Travers before 1708 in Northumberland County,
Virginia. They had at least eight children, Their fourth child, Elizabeth
Crump who married William Blackwell, is our ancestor.

A Will dated on October 27, 1744 in Prince William County, Virginia
by Colonel John Crump leaves bequests to his children:

Daughter, Susanne Hewitt
Daughter, Hannah Crump
Son, George Crump
Son, Benjamin Crump
Son, Joseph Crump

Colonel John Crump died about 1745 in Prince William County, Virginia.
His Will was proved on 23 January, 1745/46 in Prince William County.

Note: Prince William County, Virginia was formed in 1731 from Westmoreland
and Stafford Counties. In 1759, Fauquier County was taken from Price William
County. Thus, Prince William, which is the place of John Crump's death, later
became Fauquier County, where his children lived and died. It appears that
John Crump moved from Northumberland County to Prince William County, VA
around 1734. 
Family: F6
43 In North Carolina Marriages, 1759-1979 Family: F109
44 Information from Cox researcher Sandy Rowe Family: F333
45 Information from Family Search North Carolina Deaths and Burials, 1898-1994 Family: F277
46 Information from Family Search North Carolina Deaths and Burials, 1898-1994 Family: F282
47 Information from Family Search North Carolina Marriages, 1759-1979 Family: F283
48 Information from Family Search North Carolina Marriages, 1759-1979 Family: F284
49 Information from Find A Grave Family: F288
50 Information from Middleton researchers Family: F325

      1 2 3 4 5 ... 23» Next»