m. 21 Nov 1895
- Edward C. Tarrant, Prominent among the men of San Antonio who have worked their own way to prominence and position in the world of business is Edward C. Tarrant, a memeber of the leading mortgage brokerage firm of E. C. Chandler and Company. Mr Tarrant comes from a line of noted educators and was given a good educational training in his youth, but at the age of eighteen decided upon a business career, and prior to entering his present line was associated with railroad work. He has become widely known in his present field of activity and as a citizen of real worth and progressive spirit.
Mr Tarrant was born at Scooba, Kemper County, Mississippi July 2, 1872, and is a son of Edward W. and Annie (Spencer) Tarrant, native of Tuscaloosa, Alabama and a grandson of Capt. Edward and Parmelia (VanZandt) Tarrant. The Tarrants came originally from England to Virginia prior to the war of the Revolution and subsequently was to the Carolinas and finally to Alabama. Captain Tarrant, the grandfather was an early educatior of Alabama and conducted a private school near Tuscaloosa until the outbreak of the war between the states at which time he organized three companies and led the third, known as Tarrant's Battery, in Lumsden's Brigade of the Confederate army. His son, Edward W. was at that time a student at the University of Alabama, but gave up his studies to enlist in his father's company in which he received the rank of lieutenant. He was the first Alabama soldier to be shot in the war, receiving his wound during a skirmish. Late in the war both he and his father were captured by the enemy and incarcerated at Fire Island Prison. At the close of the great struggle Capt. Edward Tarrant resumed his educational work and his son went back to college. After living for several years Captain Tarrant passed away, his death in all probability having been hastened by his military hardships and imprisonment. He was one of the well known and highly estemmed educators of his day, and his institution was known, as an excellent preparatory school.
Edward W. Tarrant was born September 14, 1842, and was graduated from the University of Alabama with the degree of Master of Arts about 1867. following his father's footsteps, he chose educational labors as his life work and for many years was a widely known and popular teacher. When he left his native State of Alabama he went to Black Hawk, Mississippi, where he was principal of the Methodist High School, subsequenty becoming superintendent of public instruction of Carroll County, Mississippi. In 1883 Mr. Tarrant came to Texas and settled at Chappell Hill, where he became president of the Chappel Hill Female College, a position which he held for ten years. About 1893 he went to Brenham where during the next seventeen years he was superintendent of public schools, and about 1910 removed to Corsicana, where he took up the durties of superintendent of the State Orphan's Home. After four years in that capacity he retired from active labors and lived quietly until his death, November 19, 1921 at Bryan, this state. Converted at the age of thirteen years, Mr. Tarrant was always very active in the work of the Methodist Church, and was a member of the Methodist Conference of his district. He was a past division commander of the Texas Department, United Confederate Veterans, and was a past muster of the Blue Lodge of Masonry and a meber of the Chapter, Commandary and Mystic Shrine.
Edward C. Tarrant attended the public schools of the various communiteis in which the family resided during his boyhood and youth, and then spent several years at Soule College, Chappell Hill, Texas, and one year at Southern University in Alabama. He next secured a position in the supply department of the San Antonio and Aransas Pass Railroad at Yoakum, Texas, in 1891, and two years later was made general storekeeper. In 1900 he took up his residence at San Antonio as paymaster for the road, of which he was made treasurer in 1902, and remained in the latter capacity until 1912, when he entered the finance house of E. B. Chandler. The firm became a partnership in 1921 and Mr. Chandlers death in 1923, Mr. Tarrant, Gus J. Groos, Guy S. McFarland and S. L. Stumberg served as executors of Mr. Chandler's estate and succeeded to the business. The four partners, who maintain offices in the Chandler Building, are trustees of the Chandler Memorial Home, a home for gentlewomen. Mr Tarrant is know as a capable and energetic business man of the highest integrity, and has the full confidence and respect of his associates. He is a member of Alamo Lodge, A. F. and A. M. of San Antonio and was one of the organizers of the San Antonio Country Club, of which he was a member of the Board of Governors and for seventeen years was secretary and treasurer. He is a member of the San Antonio Casino Club, and the Rotary Club, of which he was formerly a member of the directorate and finds his chief recreation in golf and hunting.
On November 21, 1895, Mr. Tarrant was united in marriage with MISS MAUDE KEESEE, A DAUGHTER OF WALTER (WALSTEIN) AND MILDRED (WOODLEY) KEESEE of Old Moulton, Lavaca County, Texas. To this union there was born three sons and one daughter, Edward W., Fred J., Jack W., and Mildred.